Hub Hobby Shop


by Scott Sclafani






There are few references that show precise JUMO engine detail for the ME-262. However, I found good documentation that best explained how the engine was attached to the underwing on the 262 in the Model Art series. Three attachment points were used on the upper part of the engine. Two were forward side by side and one aft. There were also numerous small fuel lines and connectors that were also needed, but for my purposes I left those out. I used small plastic rod cut to 1/8″ to actually mount the engine to the wing.

















This bird was flown to neutral Switzerland during the last days of the war by a JG. 7 pilot. The aircraft was photographed from all angles, with engine detail most noteworthy. Some color photos even exist.


A precise documentation of the color scheme was also made by Swiss officials. (I have no idea why). RLM 82 light green, and 83 dark green were used for upper surface camouflage on wings and tailplane. RLM 76 light blue was used on lower engine and fuselage sides. A unique wavy demarcation line was seen separating the green and blue colors on the sides of the engine and fuselage. Mottling was done using RLM 82 and 83. Photographic references were used where possible to authenticate patterns.




Undersurfaces, except wooden gear doors were unpainted natural metal.

This aircraft was chosen because of it’s very colorful paint scheme and much photographed camouflage pattern.


Most late war 262s were left in a one color dark green on all upper surfaces. Very plain and not too eye appealing, but this coloration provided good concealment while 262s were displaced along autobahns hiding from marauding Allied fighters.



The Verlinden detail set for the DML 262 was used for this aircraft. Front slats, flaps on wings and tailplane, engine, cockpit interior were all added to the standard DML kit.





Photos by Phil Novak